Alternatives to browsers (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

James Tauber JTauber at bowstreet.com
Wed Jan 19 15:56:22 GMT 2000

[...]
> Oops!  Look like I just invented Java.  Any venture
> capitalists listening?

Actually, when I was an intern at Sun Labs in 1996, I proposed, along with
another researcher, a project to build a super-slim browser that was
essentially a Java run-time environment with SGML support. The UI and
everything would be downloaded as SGML and relevant helper classes.

Needless to say it didn't eventuate. If we'd waited a year we would have had
XML instead of SGML and it probably would have taken off.

James
James Tauber               jtauber at bowstreet.com
Director XML Technology    www.jtauber.com
Bowstreet Software, Inc.   www.bowstreet.com