Alternatives to browsers (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Wed Jan 19 16:00:34 GMT 2000

At 10:14 AM 1/19/00 +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
>XML encoding gets you a common generic format, but it doesn't
>get you semantic transparency. So, sure, you'd be able to
>parse the contents of XML rpc packets, but that doesn't mean
>you'll be able to do anything interesting with them.

It's true that semantic transparency is one of those holy grails that
haven't yet been reached.

On the other hand, transforming XML from flavor to flavor is a lot easier
(in my experience) than transforming binary streams.   You might want to
check out JXML's Quick (http://www.jxml.com) for one approach that's
keeping this capability in mind.

XML buys you flexibility.

Simon St.Laurent