Alternatives to the W3C

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Thu Jan 20 03:16:59 GMT 2000

> <disbelief>
> + and - menus are so compelling that you'll exclude nearly half your
audience?
> </disbelief>

Yes, I would play with new ideas even if only a dozen people could use them.
I'm constantly trying to learn, to have new experiences, and I especially
like it when someone like the author of the site I pointed you to, blows my
mind with something I had never thought of but enjoy using. Basically I
don't care that much about "half my audience." A couple of years ago we
started building on the assumption that lots of people would have full-time
net connections, at a time when almost no one did. I made a bet, I thought I
knew how the market would develop. It takes a few years to make a new idea
happen, so if I want to be in the market when it's happening I *have* to do
things that only play on a limited number of systems.

Dave