Alternatives to the W3C (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Jan 22 19:11:18 GMT 2000

At 10:06 PM 1/21/00 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
>> That's only if you think that IE5 counts as an XML browser, realistically.
>> I don't. -Tim
>
>Two words:  links, lists.  IE5 handles neither its XML/CSS support.

On top of which, if you combine XML & CSS you seem to lose access to
the DOM. And why would I bother sending XML to a browser if I
didn't plan to do something other than display it once it got there;
and how can I do anything if the DOM isn't there?  Case closed.

If anyone has actually managed to get the DOM working in the
XML+CSS environment, please let us know how. -Tim