xml:lang: Am I doing more work than I need to be?

Christopher R. Maden crism at exemplary.net
Wed Jan 26 22:31:30 GMT 2000

Tim Bray wrote:
> At 11:11 AM 1/26/00 -0800, Christian Hammond wrote:
>> I have
>> been working on getting xml:lang support implemented, but there is
>> one thing
>> I'm confused about.
>
> xml:lang is just an ordinary XML attribute that is reserved for the
> (very common) purpose of an author language-labeling pieces of data.
> There is no specification about what ought to be done with it anywhere.

Naturally, Tim is correct about the content of REC-XML, but Christian
was asking more about the semantics, which are governed by RFC 1766 (I
think - the exact number is in the Rec, and I'm writing this from my
smartphone).  The value is hierarchical, and match on leading
substrings.  So 'en' matches 'en-GB' and vice versa, but 'en-CA' doesn't
match 'fr-CA'.

HTH,
Chris

--
Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Exemplary Technologies