Non-Unicode Character Sets

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Jan 28 22:05:49 GMT 2000

I am told that conversion of some character sets through Unicode is
lossy and cannot be round-tripped. But it occurs ot me that as long as
one has the private use area, "unknown" characters can always be
preserved. If a particular mapping loses information, isn't that more a
weakness in the mapping then in Unicode itself? Are there some
standardized national character sets with so many non-Unicode characters
that they cannot fit into the PUA? Even with planes 15 and 16?

Is there any character set in the world that cannot be considered a
"subset of Unicode"?

The new revolutionaries believe the time has come for an aggressive
move against our oppressors. We have established a solid beachhead
on Friday. We now intend to fight vigorously for 'casual Thursdays.'
  -- who says America's revolutionary spirit is dead?