Creating HTML tags through XSL.

THOMAS PASSIN tpassin at idsonline.com
Sat Jan 29 01:20:22 GMT 2000

<prasadm at crt.com> wrote

> Hi folks,
>
> Asking for help once again. Has anyone been successful in creating HTML
> tags through XSL. What really my problem is we have an XML document of
> say 100 records. Now I want to split them up into 10 layers/div's
containing
> 10 rows
> in each page. I want to create something like this.
>
> <xsl:template match="ROW">
>     &lt; /TABLE &gt;
>     &lt; /FORM &gt;
> <xsl:apply-templates/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> The above XSL should generate for me the tags
> </TABLE></FORM> as part of the html doc being created. But instead
> these tags appear on the browser. Is there anyway to force these tags
> to be part of the html doc. or Is it not possible at all?

If you use the entities &lt; and so on, you will get those CHARACTERS (not
markup) in the output.  But they will be excaped characters, not markup, as
you have seen.
If you want to output a table element, you need to output  complete
elements, possibly like this:

<xsl:template match="ROW">
</xsl:template>

There are other possiblities, but this is the easiest.

Tom Passin