XML Schema Question: attributing an element with a datatype?

Roger L. Costello costello at mitre.org
Mon Jan 31 11:50:05 GMT 2000

I reckon that I will answer my own question.  To give the cost element
an attribute currency, where the type of cost is the datatype money, you
declare it as follows:

            <element name="cost">
                <type source="money">
                    <attribute name="currency" minOccurs="1">
                        <datatype name="currencies" source="string">
                            <enumeration value="USD"/>
                            <enumeration value="CND"/>
                        </datatype>
                    </attribute>
                </type>
            </element>

The element "type" has an optional attribute "source" which I set to the
datatype "money".

"money" is defined as:

    <datatype name="money" source="decimal">
        <scale value="2"/>
    </datatype>

/Roger