XLINK discussion

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Thu Apr 16 20:40:05 BST 1998

At 08:37 AM 4/16/98, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>There are as yet relatively few implementations of XLink and since there
>has been little experience with it so far it's certainly appropriate to
>discuss the strategy of implementation.  Eliot Kimber wrote an extremely
>valuable contribution last year (search the archive :-) which is worth
>revisiting.

Thanks. I've made a first-draft stab at implementing XPointers in DSSSL
(http://www.drmacro.com/hyprlink/xlink/) from which a variety of useful
XLink-to-? transforms could be built.  I'm also in the process of building
general-purpose HyTime engine that will also implement XPointers and
therefore be able to support XLink (because XLink can be defined as an
application of HyTime). Not sure when I'll get the XPointer part of this
system working, but probably in the next couple of months. I'll be
announcing the alpha version of this tool just as soon as it does something
demonstrable (I'm building it for a demo at SGML/XML Europe, so I have to
have that much working by May).

Cheers,

Eliot

--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)