XFM (or something similar)

William Lindsey lindsey at diac.com
Wed Dec 1 00:58:34 GMT 1999

Sean McGrath wrote:
> >Do xml-dev'ers think XFM is a good idea?

Tim Bray replied:
> I think having a way for an instance to promise it references no
external
> entities is a no-brainer.
[ ... snip ... ]

Should we invent yet another way for the instance to tell us about
itself?  We already have the BOM, the XML declaration, the Document
Type declaration, and the XML-Stylesheet PI.  I guess it hasn't
been decided how an instance is associated with a W3C Schema.

Maybe we should investigate a more general way to specify all
this stuff externally. It seems to fit within the scope of
the problem Tim outlines in "Related-Resource Discovery for XML" [1].
Is there a W3C XML packaging activity?

Best,

Bill

[1] http://www.textuality.com/xml/why-pkg.html