SML - a vote against

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Wed Dec 1 03:24:58 GMT 1999

Hi Joe,

Joe said:
Instead, what I'd like to see is the codification of subsets and
recommendations for domains of use of these subsets.  For example, in the
domain of XML for business messaging, if not for all of XML-for-data, I'd
like to see a formal recommendation to avoid both entity declarations and
mixed content.  I'd like to make it easy for someone who knows their domain
of use to identify exactly what they need to learn about XML and to learn
just those pieces.  Applications could advertise conformance with various
recommendations to ease both learning to use the application and
integrating with the application.

Didier reply:
Independently of SML there is a need for messaging convention otherwise this
convention is defined by a manufacturer as Microsoft is trying with Biztalk.

The whole thread I tried to bring out about meta data and message is about
this. Biztalk after all only add some meta data to an XML document like for
instance, for what/whom is this message, from what/whom is this message, to
which process this message is part of, etc... All these things are in fact
meta information about the document transported from A to B. However, to
realize this, what is missing now in the XML framework is:

a) the ability to validate a document fragment or the whole document as an
aggregation of fragments.

If we get that, then it will be possible to build a message that would
include the meta data about a document and the document itself in the same
text "package".

Off course this is a need for e-commerce transaction and probably not
something that could be applied to other kind of documents.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind at netfolder.com
http://www.netfolder.com