Some questions

Eve L. Maler elm at east.sun.com
Wed Dec 1 22:58:47 GMT 1999

At 05:58 AM 10/30/99 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
>That's just the problem with the spec -- if you forget the word/prefix
>"meta" completely, RDF is just an XML format for object exchange; it
>just happens that one possible application of those objects if
>metadata, and the RDF-Syntax spec mixes the two together.

When people talk about RDF, the "meta" part is what I have trouble with in
general.  In what way is markup not metadata?  In what way are element
content and attribute values not also metadata (depending on what you do
with them)?  It feels weird for one particular data model to claim to have
cornered the metadata market.

         Eve