XML processing instruction survey

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Thu Dec 2 13:55:20 GMT 1999

From: Jeffrey E. Sussna <jes at kuantech.com>

>I'm interested in the extent to which people are actually using the XML
>processing instruction ( <?xml ) in their XML files, and the extent to
which
>they find it useful.

You probably should post this question (in Japanese) to a Japanese XML
mailgroup, or (in Chinese) to a Chinese XML mail group (such as the one
running from University of Milan), and so on.

Asking an English-language list will only give your a survey of how many
people work outside their only language: I am interested in this, but a
lack of response would not provide evidence of anything much.  Also,
when dealing with CJK societies, with their strong Buddhist aversion to
self-promotion coupled with a strong Confucian deference to authority
(let alone the strong reluctence to embarrass them selves or others, or
put themselves into conflict), you might be hard-pressed to get much
response even there.

For me, I use it every day.  See  http://www.ascc.net/xml for a
bilingual website in UTF-8, Big5, and GB2312.  Logfiles reveal that
Chinese is accessed primarily through Big5 or GB.

Rick Jelliffe