CFP: W3C XML Activity chat before XML '99

Henry S. Thompson ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 15:01:54 GMT 1999

You may have seen:

"Upcoming Events:

    XML’ 99, 5-9 Dec '99 in Philadelphia (a GCA Conference)
    meet Judy Brewer, Bert Bos, Dan Connolly, Dave Raggett,
    Joseph Reagle, Chris Lilley, Michael Sperberg-McQueen
    from the W3C Team "
	-- http://www.w3.org/XML/

and, meanwhile, a lot of discussion in xml-dev and elsewhere about
what W3C is doing with XML (and HTML and ...) and how
and why it does all this stuff.

I propose we get together over an IRC channel and chat:

Who: everybody's welcome
	In addition to myself, Bert Bos, Ian Jacobs,
	Henry Thompson, and Daniel Veillard
	from the W3C Team plan to be there.

When: Friday, 3 December at 1500Z (9am U.S. Central time)
	for about an hour.

	(Apologies to the parts of the world where that's
	inconvenient. The log will go online, and hopefully
	we'll have more chats at different times of day in the future.)

Where: irc://irc.openprojects.net/#w3c
	i.e. channel #w3c on irc.openprojects.net

        about this IRC network, see
	Open Projects Network - New User?
        http://openprojects.nu/about.html

	stay tuned to the XML home page http://www.w3.org/XML/
	for other details.

What: The W3C XML Activity: Who, What, How, and Why

Recommended reading:

W3C Extensible Markup Language (XML) Activity
	http://www.w3.org/XML/Activity

HTML Working Group Roadmap
    18 November 1999, Shane McCarron, Dave Ragett
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-roadmap

Schemas coming of age: use them
Tim Berners-Lee (timbl at w3.org)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:31:59 -0500
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Nov-1999/0249.html

Web Architecture from 50,000 feet
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Architecture

Web Architecture: Describing and Exchanging Data
W3C Note 7 June 1999
http://www.w3.org/1999/04/WebData

Web Architecture: Extensible Languages
10 Februray 1998, Tim Berners-Lee, Dan Connolly
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-webarch-extlang

xml-dev archives
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/

and news:comp.text.xml