Content or Metadata?

Robin Cover robin at isogen.com
Thu Dec 2 20:16:27 GMT 1999

WRT (especially):

> in stuff that is not metadata, ordering matters.  The converse is
> true; if ordering matters, it's probably not metadata.

I don't think I agree, and it's not at all hard to find exceptions,
if I understand the question.  I think the distinction is indeed
POV (point of view), and in some cases, as simple as "view"
(projection).  Imagine an entire book, encoded character by
character, from beginning to end.  Which characters are "metadata"
but not "data"?  Any?  The book subunits (parts, chapters, sections,
subsections) have titles, which like the volume title, may be
regarded as "metadata" for the respective units, but they are
also "data."  For some purposes (an analytical bibliographer),
not only "order" is significant - so are many other matters of
spatial geometry with respect to the "characters" (and other
non-character properties); for other analysts (e.g.,
enumerative bibliography, descriptive cataloging), the "order" of
some character strings (in relation to others) is unimportant.

The distinction is rather like "content" (vs.) "not-content" --
fairly bogus, distracting, and confusing -- not to mention
problematic because it lies the base of some bad markup language
designs.

My 2 cents.

-robin