SAX/C++: UTF-8 v UTF-16

Richard Anderson rja at arpsolutions.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 11:53:56 GMT 1999

> 2. A hi-tech solution.  Do what the Standard C++ library does and make
> the interface a template in the character type.  This is the cleanest
> solution, but lots of C++ projects eschew templates on portability
> grounds.

The Vivid C/C++ toolkit uses templates internally and so far has been
compiled under Windows, Solaris and HPUX and a few others so I think the
problem with templates is not so much of an issue these days(although it
took us time to find the LCD for template support), but, I'd still probably
avoid them in the SAX C/C++ definitions just in case.

> If you feel that one needs to be mandated, I would pick UTF-16.

I second that.  The Vivid Creation SAX interfaces
 http://www.vivid-creations.com/free/sax.h ) have been UTF-16 from day 1
 around 16 months ago ) and to date they've had nothing but positive
feedback.  I'd therefore make everything wchar_t and not char.

I'd forget C as most platforms do have C/C++ and STL these days.

Regards,

Richard.