[SML] Whether to support Attribute or not?

Colas Nahaboo Colas.Nahaboo at sophia.inria.fr
Fri Dec 3 15:32:32 GMT 1999

"Clark C. Evans" writes:
> Take the following HTML fragment:

>   </element>

> I clearly see the different role that content plays
> as opposed to attributes. The border and cellpadding
> attributes *modify* the state of the table; where
> the tr element content is *part-of* the table.

mmm, if you really look at it, things are mudded because you forget that
"type" <tr>, and that <tr> is an object having a field named "cells" having a
list of <td>s as values.

Now, replace the word "field" by "attributes" and you see that contents is
actually a kind of attribute, with its real name omitted and implicit
(actually, explicited somewhat in the DTD.

Everything is confused in XML because everything is of type "text", that you
mix n match everywhere.

For me, your exemple *should* be written in an ideal XML 2:

  rows=	 <tr cells=<td contents="One"/><td contents="Two"/>/>
/>

--
Colas Nahaboo, Koala/Dyade/Bull @ INRIA Sophia, http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas