[YML] Re: YML: A Grand Unification of SAX and DOM? (fwd)

Paul Tchistopolskii paul at qub.com
Sun Dec 5 00:08:33 GMT 1999

> Paul, I didn't get this at all.  Sorry.

I think it's because you are concentrated on
another task than I am. I'm thinking about
mixing streaming and Groves for processing
XML ( SML ) documents.

> On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:
> > There is also *very*  elegant
> > 'reverse-polish-notation'  approach
> > proposed by Robert ( process
> > element  when Grove is in place,
> > providing the execution stack ).
> >
> > Not sure he was talking about the
> > execution stack, it was my attempt to
> > understand how could it work.
> >
> > The only drawback of such a view
> > is that the  execution stack constantly
> > grows and we need to clean it up
> > sometimes.
> >
> > However.
> >
> > Because mutithreading approach should
> > have the same drawback, I think that the
> > workaround should already exist in the
> > source code of SP ( thanks to Sean for
> > pointing that  SP is  an existing implementation
> > of multithreading approach ).
> >
> > No namespaces, no extra markup  -
> > just smart cleanup ( could be easier
> > than look-ahead, because the information
> > to make a descision is already 'in place',
> > right?  )
>
> I'm talking about using a low-level recursive
> binary distinction in syntax to unify the
> behavior of SAX and DOM -- without *any*
> schema knowledge of the input stream known
> by the parser author, nor requiring any
> external processing guidelines.

 Your approach is : "if we'l write our document
providing some extra information, it'l be easier
for processing API to make a desision how
to process it".

Even I found your proposal to be very elegant,
I dont like that idea in principle. It's the attributish
way  when one  is marking  'road-signs'  or 'pockets'
in the document. Document sould be about the content,
not about the 'road-signs' , PI's,  and some other stuff

Stylesheet  is  about processing ;-)

I'l prefer to attach the 'road-signs'  at  runtime.

I see 2 ways for now  to change processing of the
XML ( SML ) documents not changing the documents
themselvs.

    simple SAX-based 'switcher'
    reverse-polish-noitation view

After I'l understand what way makes life easier for
streaming XSLT I may write more. It is  all getting
hard.

Rgds.Paul.