Object-oriented serialization (Was Re: Some questions)

Colas Nahaboo Colas.Nahaboo at sophia.inria.fr
Mon Dec 6 00:08:28 GMT 1999

Vane Lashua writes:
> What's the point of defining "Point"?

I do not want to define it in XML (or rather, the language to occupy the
ecological niche of XML). I just want to transport its data (instance
contents).

> "Point" is meaningless by itself -- even
> though it may be syntactly correct, in a context, with normalized attributes
> and values -- without a specific processor that understands what a "Point"
> is.

Of course!!! You want to separate irrelated problems if you want to stay aside
from combinatorial complexity explosion... Understanding the semantics of data
(classes, the typing system, and more...) belongs to the application (helped
by a Schema language if a good one exist), *NOT* to the "transport" XML layer.
If you want to invent a language to express the semantics of objects, well,
good luck, but I dont want to wait for your effort to succeed before being
able to transport my data contents :-)

I want XML *NOT* to try to understand what it doesnt know about.

--
Colas Nahaboo, Koala/Dyade/Bull @ INRIA Sophia, http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas