SAX/C++: First interface draft

John Aldridge john.aldridge at informatix.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 15:01:44 GMT 1999

At 15:33 06/12/99 +0100, Steinar Bang <sb at metis.no> wrote:
>Our "basic conformance" consists of using STL (extensively) and
>string.  We've stayed away from namespaces, and exotic iostream
>features (code_cvt<>, templated streams with wide streams).  We've
>used templates in our own code, without much incident (the compilers
>are Sunpro C++, gcc/egcs and MSVC++), but we've moved away from that
>because they caused code bloat.

We're using MSVC 6 here, and basic_string<> seems fine.  We use templates
extensively (both the STL and our own), and they too give little trouble
_except_ when it comes to exporting template instantiations across DLL
boundaries, which takes considerable care (but can usually be managed).
Namespaces are fine too.

Member templates only half work, and are probably worth avoiding; and I've
no detailed experience with iostreams, so cannot comment on how safe it is
to dig into the murky corners there.

I've got a reasonable amount of experience with DEC C++, and it's also in
good shape in these regards.  I've no recent Unix/g++ experience, though.

I think the days of having to avoid large chunks of the C++ standard are
largely over, thank heavens.
--
Cheers,
John