SAX/C++: First interface draft

Paul Miller stele at fxtech.com
Mon Dec 6 16:07:35 GMT 1999

> It's not.  See eg.
>         http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/stl/faq.htm#Q4

I believe this problem is due to Microsoft's basic_string being a
reference-counting implementation. I've seen problems with this myself.

> Complaints about this state of the Standard C++ library, are met with
> a Windows compiler".

> Quite amazing, really.

Indeed, but it *is* possible to write portable code with MSVC++. It just
depends on how much Microsoft stuff you drag into your build. One thing
you might try is SGI's implementation of the STL (which includes their
own version of std::string). I've been using this for years with much
success. Download it at http://www.sgi.com/Technology/STL. Alex Stepanov
works on it at SGI, so you know it's good.

> Yes.  That wasn't my problem.  My problem was that std::iostreams are
> incompatible with Standards<ToolKit> (a failing of Standards<ToolKit>,

I personally don't use MS's iostreams. They are about 6-10 times slower
than good ole' stdio, so I wrote my own basic IO streams classes that
simply wrap around a FILE *. Much better.

-Paul

Paul Miller - stele at fxtech.com