A question on nomenclature

Jeff Russell jefftr at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 7 01:45:17 GMT 1999

Different people are describing it different ways. An "application of XML"
would be generic enough. "Application" would be one step higher, and so also
technically correct. "Format" would describe a particular document or specific
DTD/schema. Grammar or syntax is what the XML spec describes. A vocabulary
might be the specific "proprietary" set of tags used in a given deocument, DTD,
or schema.

"Class" is a technical word from XSL and CSS.

Jeff Russell