SAX and <!DOCTYPE>

Steinar Bang sb at metis.no
Tue Dec 7 08:41:50 GMT 1999

Is there something in SAX that gives the information in the <!DOCTYPE>
declaration to the application?

I've scratched my head over DTDHandler
	http://www.megginson.com/SAX/javadoc/org.xml.sax.DTDHandler.html
but I haven't found anything that looks like it there.  I've looked at
the source code for XMLNorm/XMLWriter, and it doesn't look like it is
anywhere there.  The top level element is used as the name.

But when looking at the original announcement for XMLNorm:
	http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Jul-1999/0346.html
there's a link to an XML document that has a DOCTYPE with both a
PUBLIC identifier and a SYSTEM identifier
	http://home.sprynet.com/~dmeggins/texts/darkness/darkness.xml

Or maybe the above document is _before_ processing with XMLNorm...?

Hm... searches on the net also gave me some discussions from January
1998, that seems to indicate that a <!DOCTYPE> declaration isn't good
enough as a document type identifier, but there didn't seem to be any
conclusions (at least I didn't find them.

What I need the document type for, is to set the appropriate
DocumentHandler in the parser.  I'm assuming that this is something
others would like to do.  If there is no DOCTYPE information
available, how is it done?