A question on nomenclature

Hunter, David dhunter at Mobility.com
Tue Dec 7 18:22:29 GMT 1999

From: Reynolds, Gregg [mailto:greynolds at datalogics.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 12:26 PM
> > Keep in mind I'm talking about the "structure" there, not the
> > "instance" of
> > that "structure".  (I want to describe the "class", not the
> > "object".)
>
> Not sure what you mean.  I take it you're after the structural
> "interpretation", as it were, of the instance.

Sorry, I'll try to state my case better.  :-)  I mean that I want to
describe a "class" of XML documents, in which the root element will be
<last>.  I'm describing that class by writing this:

<name>
  <first/>
  <middle/>
  <last/>
</name>

(James Tauber described this as a "schema-by-example") but what I really
want is the name that I would call that "class" of XML documents.  I may end
up with an "instance" of that class, which happens to look exactly like that
but I don't care about that.  I'm still leaning toward "vocabulary", because
that still seems to describe it best, but I'm still open too.  (I think
"schema" is probably correct for what I'm trying to do as well, but that
would confuse readers with XML Schemas, which are just one type of "schema
description language"...)