RFC: "even simpler" C++ XML parser for object hierarchies

Bent Rasmussen runnable at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 17:20:56 GMT 1999

>Thoughts?

yes - one

>		Layer *layer = new Layer((*it).GetAttribute("name"));
>		layer->Parse(*it);
>		doc->AddLayer(layer);

Why do you call a parse method outside of Layer? The parse method might be
there but it seems to me that giving the constructor the whole DOM node will
reduce complexity and since it is implied that the object should use the
information during construction to build its internal state - it might as
well just start off by parsing the node during the actual construction. If
you had a method that returned the object state (fx a wrapper object with a
DOM node containing state information) you could then easily throw in a
history mechanism for your program (by letting the document object holding
the shapes catch and reset states of objects in a sequential manner).

I'm rookie (only know about Java) but I think it makes sense, and hope it
does since I intend redesigning my own java-based drawing application this
way; using XML for serialization syntax and feeding/outputting it directly
to/from the objects using it.