RFC: "even simpler" C++ XML parser for object hierarchies

Paul Miller stele at fxtech.com
Wed Dec 8 17:37:14 GMT 1999

> >               Layer *layer = new Layer((*it).GetAttribute("name"));
> >               layer->Parse(*it);
> >               doc->AddLayer(layer);

> Why do you call a parse method outside of Layer? The parse method might be
> there but it seems to me that giving the constructor the whole DOM node will
> reduce complexity and since it is implied that the object should use the
> information during construction to build its internal state - it might as
> well just start off by parsing the node during the actual construction. If

That's a good point. One advantage to doing it this way is your objects
do not *necessarily* need to know anything about the actual parsing
mechanism. You can call an object parser that parses out the required
attributes and entities on behalf of the object, and then call normal
object methods to get it into the state you want.

Both ways could be utilized trivially.

Paul Miller - stele at fxtech.com