NDATA,XPointer, XLink Confusion

xml xml at waena.edu
Thu Dec 9 16:28:43 GMT 1999

Hi all,
This is a newbie-ish question.

My servlet accepts XML files which have in them CDATA of base64 encoded
binary data (images, sounds, movies, etc).

I take that CDATA, extract it and save it as a separate file in the
filesystem, but now I need to add and NDATA statement that points to that
file.  Perhaps I should be using XPointers or XLinks?  In any case, the
element that holds the CDATA, called <CONTENT> is of CDATA type.  I can
change that to NDATA and plug in the reference, but do I have to decalre the
actual NDATA in the DTD?  I can't do this (one DTD for many files, all of
which contain different binary data).  If I use XPointers or XLinks, do XML
parsers automatically inster the binary data they point to?  If so, why
would anyone use NDATA to point to external binary files?

Thanks