A processing instruction for robots

Walter Underwood wunder at infoseek.com
Thu Dec 9 20:05:26 GMT 1999

At 01:41 PM 12/9/99 -0500, Dongwook Shin wrote:
>Walter Underwood wrote:
>> Structural markup opens up some really nice possibilities.
>> An indexer might weight the bibliography less and the
>> abstract more, for example.
>
>If you see XRS (XML retrieval system), you can find that a user
>can give a bigger weight to an element than to another. This
>kind of weighting is more flexible than those by indexer.
>Check XRS Web demonstration system:
>http://dlb2.nlm.nih.gov/~dwshin/xrs.html

I think you are suggesting that wighting and selection
should be done at query time instead of at index time.
That is a design tradeoff for the search engine. But the
detailed weighting and selection belong *somewhere* in
the search engine rather than in every single document.

I can imagine a system where each document had indexing
hints scattered throughout the structure, but I can't
imagine anyone having the time or knowledge to do a good
job with all that markup. We have enough trouble getting
people to replace "Untitled Document" in the <title> element
in HTML.

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood