XML parser in Javascript for RDF app? (feasible?)

Dan Brickley Daniel.Brickley at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 22:25:43 GMT 1999

XMLists,

Some time ago I remember a posting about there being an XML parser
(presumable an SMLish subset?) available that was written in
Javascript. Perhaps I hallucinated this! If not, I'd love to know where
this work is up to, whether available opensource etc.

Context:
We have some RDF query / logic demos now in Javascript, that work in
many pre-XML Javascript environments. The current implementation uses a
simple text representation of RDF data graphs instead of an XML
serialisation - I'm thinking it *might* be possible to actually parse
serialised graphs from XML in Javascript, using one of the various XML
graph serialisation syntaxes (RDF, BizTalk etc etc). Hence the interest in
an XML parser in Javascript...

I'm confident we can show simple RDF query and inference stuff
clientside in Javascript, eg. for decision support apps. What I'm
worried about is syntax, ie. prospects for parsing data graphs from XML
clientside in 100% Javascript.

(For the curious, this is based on Jan Grant's cute Javascript/Prolog
hack, http://rdf.desire.org/~cmjg/test/prolog.html -- I just glued it
together for rdf and made up the examples.)

There's an installation running as a part of a discussion doc I put
together as background context on RDF's origins... see:

js rdf query demo:  	http://www.w3.org/1999/11/11-WWWProposal/rdfqdemo.html
which is part of:	http://www.w3.org/1999/11/11-WWWProposal/

thanks for any tips on the XML/js front,

cheers,

Dan

ps. bug reports offlist please! this stuff doesn't run everywhere yet...

pps. non-XML data fragment follows. Clearly I'm using the wrong kinds of
brackets; suggestions welcomed... curly braces indicate a URI in the
current hack..., ie we have:
	{relation-type-URI} ({objectURI}, {value} ).

We can parse this stuff in Javascript. I'd rather use XML instead but am
not sure if this is feasible... (bait for the SMLers... ;-)

Excerpts from: 	http://www.w3.org/1999/11/11-WWWProposal/rdfqdemo.html

{http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type}
({http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html}
,{http://www.w3.org/1999/11/11-WWWProposal/vocab.rdf#Document}).

{http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/Title}
({http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html} ,
"Information Management: A Proposal").

{http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type}
({http://www.w3.org/People/all#timbl%40w3.org}
,{http://www.w3.org/1999/11/11-WWWProposal/vocab.rdf#Person}).

{http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/Creator}
({http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html}
,{http://www.w3.org/People/all#timbl%40w3.org}).

{http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/Description}
({http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html} ,
"This proposal concerns the [...etc] ").