a simpler document type definition language?

Toivo Lainevool tlainevool at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 01:40:04 GMT 1999

--- Jurg Wullschleger <Jurg.Wullschleger at mb.luth.se> wrote:
> the simplest form i can think of would look something like this: (examples
> in DTD syntax)
> there are only 4 types of elements:
>
> - empty elements
> <!ELEMENT name1 EMTPY >
>
> - elements that contain data
>
> <!ELEMENT name2 (#PCDATA) >
>
> - list elements
>
> <!ELEMENT name3 (name1|name2|name3|name4)* >
>
> - structural elements of a fixed length
>
> <!ELEMENT name4 ((name1|name2),name3,name4,(name5|name6|name7)) >

I would go even simpler than that.  Don't allow nested brackets, #4 could be
represented like this:

<!ELEMENT name4 (nameA,name3,name4,nameB)>
<!ELEMENT nameA (name1|name2)>
<!ELEMENT nameB (name5|name6|name7)>

I recently wrote a quick and dirty DTD processor that generated java classes
for parsing valid XML documents, using this simplification in my DTDs made
things a whole lot easier.

Toivo Lainevool