Musing over Namespaces

Hunter, David dhunter at Mobility.com
Wed Dec 15 04:43:38 GMT 1999

From: Don Park [mailto:donpark at docuverse.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 1999 7:19 PM

> My concern is that XML namespace standard seems to encourage
> proliferation of proprietary tags such as the three 'purchase'
> tags in your example.  With just three companies, we have three
> different tags that basically means the same thing.

In my mind, this is not a bad thing.  As some people may or may not be
saying on this thread, the word "purchase" means different things to
different companies, so they are naturally going to write XML to define a
"purchase" differently.  So the key word I see in that last sentence is
"basically".  "Purchase" may mean <em>basically</em> the same thing to two
different companies, but they won't mean <em>exactly</em> the same thing.

<aside>
As has been mentioned before, I think this is one of the areas where XSLT is
really going to shine over the Internet.  Even when we start coming up with
<em>standardized</em> ways of expressing things in XML, people don't have to
use those standards for their own applications.  They can write XML in
whatever way they want, in a way that makes sense for them, and transform it
to another form of XML when they need to communicate with someone else.
</aside>