Musing over Namespaces

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Wed Dec 15 16:49:19 GMT 1999

My thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Some of you thought I am proposing removal of namespace.
I am not.  What I am doing is trying to see what lies
beyond our technical concerns.  I do not accept that
the current standardization practice is the best one,
just better than before, and I believe we focus too
much on logic and not enough on the big picture, the
one that astronauts see when they look at Earth from
out of space.

I think the real question I am asking is: What if we
were coerced into proactive standardization?  What
do we lose and what do we gain?

The registry/dictionary I mentioned is a form of
coercion.  Appropriate amount of anarchy can be
introduced with distributed architecture similar
to DNS.  XML-DEV old timers might recognize that
this distributed name registry network is similar
to the TagNet idea I wrote briefly about two years
ago.  Looks like I am going around in circles. <g>

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com