SAX for WAP binary XML

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Wed Dec 15 17:05:03 GMT 1999

Stefan Haustein <stefan.haustein at trantor.de> writes:

> - WBXML adds some properitary extensions. For that reason, I added an
>   interface "WapExtensionHandler". Can that interface or a similar one
>   be included in org.xml.sax.wap? Who cares about extensions of
>   org.xml.sax? Unfortunally, the ugly extensions cannot be ignored
>   since they are alread used in the WML definintions.

The extensions should go in a different package, such as org.wap.sax.

> - The handler for the WAP extensions needs to be registered at the
>   parser. WML depends on fixed "tag and attribute tables", other WBXML
>   languages also may use similar tables. A mechanism to register the
>   tables with the parser is needed. Thus, an extended Parser interface
>   is needed (e.g. org.xml.sax.wap.WbxmlParser)

Again, that's not a problem at all, though SAX2 will have a more
general mechanism for this kind of thing.

> - WBXML is designed for small devices like a Palm Pilot. Deriving the
>   WbxmlParser from org.sax.xml.Parser includes a lot of unneeded
>   overhead. It could be a better solution to start a new hierarchy
>   (WbxmlParser -> WapParser). A Wrapper could implements the full
>   org.sax.xml.Parser interface for compatibility.

Certainly that could make a lot of sense.  We kept the core SAX
interfaces very small so that they would be suitable for environments
with strict space constraints, but they still take up a few KB.
Building a SAX wrapper on top might make sense if every kilobyte
counts.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com