Musing over Namespaces

Toby Speight Toby.Speight at streapadair.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 18:12:27 GMT 1999

Julian> Julian Reschke <URL:mailto:reschke at medicaldataservice.de>

0> In article
0> <NCBBIPMOPKLLGKJPBINCMELEDHAA.reschke at medicaldataservice.de>,
0> Julian wrote:

Julian> ...  I'd say that the different national languages *do* form
Julian> a kind of namespace.  It shouldn't be too hard to find an
Julian> example where a word "x" has the same spelling but completely
Julian> different meanings in for instance German and English...

Like "hat", perhaps?  (An example off the top of my head...)

English and American is a particularly problematic pair, as often the
words are the same part of speech: a "gas-powered" vehicle is much
more unusual on one side than the other.  In neither country would I
start an argument with someone who is "pissed", though for different
reasons.