Musing over Namespaces

Arjun Ray aray at q2.net
Wed Dec 15 23:18:37 GMT 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Don Park wrote:

> Is it really a 'good thing' to have namespaces in XML?

Depends on whether a 'solution in search of a problem' can be a 'good
thing'.

> What ill effect will it have on XML's future?

Wheels spinning madly in place?

> Why can't the semantic of '<name>' be determined purely by context?

Because names are instrumental.  The real issue is whether the context is
understood.

> What is wrong with using just <html> to distinguish HTML's use of
> 'a' tag?

Because it's not about tags.  It's about notations.

> Is the ability to inject attributes from other namespaces really useful?

Injection is not useful.  Reference (or annotation) is useful.

> What is the positive effect of having just one namespace?

None.  Each document is a name space.

> Why can't we have central registry of XML names?

I don't know if that's a good idea.  We could be headed that way, though.
(i.e. "ownership" of names, as in, you gotta download my plugin to do
anything with this markup...)

Arjun