Musing over Namespaces

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Thu Dec 16 21:27:36 GMT 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 11:04 AM 12/14/99 -0500, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> >It'd still be nice to have a single database with
> >everyone's namespace definitions in one place though...
> >perhaps even a DTD to help describe them.  I'm sure
> >there are organizations doing this... are there?
>
> Yes, lots.  That's the problem. -Tim

No Tim, that's the answer.  Common goals achieved by
common means, not common control.  Put the definitions in
place by performance, not uberNamespace.  It has to
breathe, my friends, like a good well performed piece
of music, it has to breathe.

The standards wonks really need to study management
and contract negotiation.  OASIS and BIZTALK are
the absolute wrong way to do this.  This means a
marvelous lucrative opportunity is sitting there being
ignored.  Someone or some company will get rich
off this if they go to these companies and demonstrate
the right way to do this.

len