CR/LF in XML?

Gavin McKenzie gmckenzi at JetForm.com
Fri Dec 17 19:05:36 GMT 1999

Folks,

After working with XML for the better portion of the last two years I am
somewhat embarassed about this...and I'm hoping that someone can give me an
opinion based on experience...

I thought that I understood the way the XML spec states that parsers are
required to convert all CR/LF pairs to simply LF.  But I've had that
understanding shaken when I was told by a co-worker that placing the CR/LF
pair in an XML file as character-entity references
 results
in the parser *not* translating the pair to a LF.

So in summary, a CR/LF pair appears to be translated, while the
&#000D;&#000A; is not...right?

I've re-read the spec (especially sec 2.11), and the annotated
version...I've brushed up on the definition of a 'parsed-entity', and I'm
still unable to understand whether the reported behaviour of using character
entities to defeat the translation is correct; and if so, which magic words
in the spec (is it the repeated use of 'literal' in 2.11) cause the
behaviour of not translating the character-entity references to be correct.

Gavin.