Free Tool for Efficient XML Data Compression

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Sun Dec 19 16:32:17 GMT 1999

Hi Elliotte

Elliotte said:
While XMill sounds interesting, I really have to take issue with this
statement.  I've seen no evidence that XML based, uncompressed file
formats are larger than the corresponding binary file formats. This
is a common fear about XML but I have not seen it borne out in my
tests. For instance, my 700K, very verbose baseball statistics
example is more than two megabytes in both FileMaker 3 and Microsoft
Excel.

Didier reply:
What??? no evidence???? come on Elliotte, this is a joke I presume, you're
not serious ;-) so there is a :-) missing at the end of the statement.

In fact, their compression algorithm is something that the HTTP group should
look very closely as an addition to simple zip compression (as you know HTTP
1.1 can transport content in a compressed format) for certain MIME types
such as XML derived domain languages.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind at netfolder.com
Conferences: Web New York (http://www.mfweb.com)
Book to come soon: XML Pro published by Wrox Press
Products: http://www.netfolder.com