pulling with expat

Andy Dent dent at oofile.com.au
Mon Dec 20 07:04:57 GMT 1999

At 16:30 -0500 19/12/99, Paul Miller wrote:
>As promised I decided to take another stab at implementing my streaming
>pull-style parser over expat. Either I haven't had enough strong drink
>yet for it to make sense, or it's not possible. If you'll recall my
>design for the hierarchical nature of the element handlers, I want to be
>able to nest my parsing, just like an object hierarchy:
>The major design point is you enter an element handler for a class, that
>class does all of its parsing for any sub-elements, and control is
>returned back to the handler, allowing it do some cleanup or validation
>or whatever the code wants to do.
Umm, have you looked at expatpp?

As far as I can see, I've already done exactly what you want.

There's substantial working available as open source - the OOFILE
report-writer uses expatpp to parse saved report files which include
layouts, database schemae etc. This project would have been a damn sight
harder to debug without the sub-parsers.

See http://www.oofile.com.au/ for links to expatpp (including a copy of
expat) and the report writer.

This code has been validated on Mac and Windows personally and others have
used expatpp on Unix.

Andy Dent BSc MACS AACM, Software Designer, A.D. Software, Western Australia
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows
PP2MFC - PowerPlant->MFC portability
http://www.oofile.com.au/