SAX2: Namespace proposal

Stefan Haustein stefan.haustein at trantor.de
Mon Dec 20 15:45:10 GMT 1999

> > - building a new object seems some overhead at the first sight,
> >   but in JAVA also a new String is a new object...
>
> And that is why most parsers internalize strings rather than creating
> new ones, and that's why the SAX characters() and
> ignorableWhiteSpace() methods use character arrays rather than
> strings.  XML parsing shows up a lot of problems that Java programmers
> aren't used to, because it generates so many events (often tens of
> thousands) in only a few seconds.

OK, what about

 void startElement(String localName, AttributeList attr,
NameSpaceContext nsc)

NameSpaceContext could be unmutable and thus be reused while unchanged.
I could still remember all parameters since there is only one more at
the end :-)

The parser would only need to check if the NSC has changed and could
reuse the same object otherwise.

Best regards

Stefan