SAX2 Namespace Support

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Tue Dec 21 03:14:06 GMT 1999

Ray Waldin <rwaldin at pacbell.net> writes:

> Overall, very nice!
>
> My only concern is that LexicalHandler should be required by all parsers.
> Otherwise you will get "fully compliant" SAX2 parsers which cannot be used to
> resolve QNames found in attribute values against in-scope namespace
> declarations. There are many examples where that's critical:
>
> - evaluate XPath expression (XLST, XPointer, etc.)
> - resolve XLink locator role (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-semantics)
> - follow XML Schema references (see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#refSchemaConstructs)
>
> and probably more to come...
>
> IMHO, LexicalHandler must be supported by all SAX2 parsers.

Or else we can put the callbacks back into a separate
NamespaceHandler, so that parsers are not forced to report comments,
CDATA section boundaries, and other noise as well.

Do others agree that the scope of NS declarations is essential
(i.e. shouldn't be optional)?  I knew that XSLT needed it, but I
hadn't realized that so many other apps were now relying on resolving
prefixes in attribute values and character data -- I need to keep more
up to date on the specs.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com