SAX2: summary of Namespace-support arguments

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 10:56:33 GMT 1999

Rick,

Perhaps I missed something but I fail to see why your xslt example
shows that prefixes are required.

> In this document, the axsl: element will not be interpreted
> as an XSLT function by an XSL processor: it will be output
> unchanged as
>     <axsl:value-of select="xxx"/>

That is true, but not because it is a different prefix, but because it
is a different namespace.

The expanded form is not

   <(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform)value-of select="xxx"/>

that you suggest but rather

   <(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/TransformAlias)value-of select="xxx"/>

which is (to the namespace processor parsing the stylesheet) just some
unknown namespace unrelated to XSLT which is why it is a literal result
element not an xsl instruction.

The `magic' aliasing comes later, as result elements in that namespace
are switched to the XSLT namespace as the result tree is written out.

David