interning [Re: SAX2: Namespace proposal]

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Tue Dec 21 16:48:06 GMT 1999

My experience is exactly the opposite. Where the app is written in a language
like java, it will likely know the names of significant things at the time it
is coded. In which case they can be statically interned. Even if it necessary
to push this off to runtime a binding to "behaviour" can be done on the basis
of interned symbols. For something like an XSL processors the story _may_ be
different, but i'd like to see numbers first, before i would believe it.

Miles Sabin wrote:

> Joe Lapp wrote,
> > Using Java String interning, how do you guys guarantee
> > performance in any of the DOM Element get*() methods that take
> > Strings?  Do you require that the app intern the string before
> > passing it in?

As I've noted elsewhere, in lisp, symbols suffice: they're interned when the
program source is read, that is, even before the program is compiled.