SAX2: Should SAXException extend IOException?

Rajiv Mordani Rajiv.Mordani at eng.sun.com
Wed Dec 22 19:35:05 GMT 1999

java.util.zip.ZipException deriving from IOException is appropriate. It is
related to i/o so it makes sense to have that. Incase of
java.net.MalformedURLExcetion ther could be an argument why it derives
from IOException. However in case of SAX it is a callback mechanism It
doesn't do the IO operations. It is the parser code / the person
implementing the xml file handling doing that. So if any IO errors occur
it will be detected earlier on, before the callback happens. Hence I don't
see the rationale in making the SAXHandlers throw IOException. It is just
a callbck/event mechanism which occurs after IO operations have been done
it should derive from RuntimeException rather than IOException IMHO.

- Rajiv