SAXPP / fragment processing

Paul Miller stele at fxtech.com
Fri Dec 24 01:42:47 GMT 1999

> > written a C version; I'm stuggling with defining interfaces
> > for a Java version.

> Ups, meanwhile I have the thing working... Maybe we can harmonize the
> interfaces, you'll find my suggestion
> http://www.trantor.de/saxpp/doc

My design is somewhat different. You can see how it works in the list
archives (or check out the sample C++ code at
http://www.fxtech.com/xmlio/. Basically you register interest in certain
elements, and can specify a callback for each, where you can then
register new handlers for the sub-elements at that scope, and so on. You
can also register element handlers for intrinsic types (such as ints,
lists, booleans, strings, floats, etc) where it just plugs the
(validated) value into your own data structures. More of an XML
interpreter than a parser (as Clark pointed out to me). The nice thing
about my design is it consumes no additional memory over the buffering
(which is independent of the reader through a stream interface anyway).
It doesn't actually process any elements that there is no handler for,
so it can quickly skip large chunks of a document (that you are not
interested in) without consuming any memory or generating any events.

I'll have more details (and a completely "C" implementation) next week
when I return from Florida.

-Paul

Paul Miller - stele at fxtech.com