java pull parser / fragment processing

Stefan Haustein stefan.haustein at trantor.de
Sat Dec 25 03:00:18 GMT 1999

Pull model based parsers offer several advantages
when processing document fragments. The main
advantage is probably that a pull based parser
can be handed over between different fragment
processing entities without problems. Also,
the processing state can be encoded more naturally
in local variables etc. instead of having to
"find yourself" each time the handler is called.
Another advantage could be that namespaces (SAX2)
can be added without loosing compatibility since
all events need to be objects anyway. In contrast
to extending parameter lists, adding new methods
to objects does not destroy compatibility.

I have implemented a java xml parser following
the pull model on top of a normal (push) SAX parser.
If you are interested, please take a look at it.
It is available at http://www.trantor.de/saxpp
I am very interested if you think the interface is
OK or if you have suggestions for improvements.

Best regards

Stefan

--
SAX-based access to WBXML and WML: www.trantor.de/wbxml