Wish lists for the Holidays

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Tue Dec 28 02:42:48 GMT 1999

At 06:28 PM 12/26/99 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>Francis Norton scripsit:
>
>> [1] tools to bring real-life HTML into XML, so it can be manipulated via
>> DOM and SAX.
>
>See HTML Tidy at http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy
>This is a program which valids up crufty HTML, making it clean HTML.
>The option "-asxml" will force output to be XML-compatible.

While I like Tidy a lot, I'd love to have a parser that tidies up the HTML
structure and then spits it out as SAX events or a DOM tree, rather than
the kind of document-to-document work that Tidy does.  Seems like that
shouldn't be much more difficult than the work Tidy does.

I'd like to add to my wish list: more development tools that recognize the
power of chaining together multiple processors.  SAX filters are already
there (and MDSAX takes that to the limit), and the same is possible with
DOM trees, but I'd love to see chaining made into a basic paradigm of XML
processing.

It's not something anyone can mandate, though.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer, 2nd Ed.
Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies