XML Schema Question: attributing an element with a datatype?

Stefan Haustein haustein at ls8.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Feb 1 13:34:10 GMT 2000

> Here is an example from the XML Schema spec that I based my solution
> upon:
>
>     <element name="picture">
>         <type source="binary" derivedBy="extension">
>             <attribute name="pictype" type="NOTATION"/>
>         </type>
>     </element>
>
> This example shows the source attribute referencing the built-in
> datatype "binary".  I inferred that the source attribute could also
> reference a built-in datatype (e.g., the money datatype).  Do I infer
> incorrectly?  /Roger

oops, I have overlooked that. I think some
clarification from the schema people is needed here.
I started implementing a schema parser where the type and
datatype are represented by different classes at the
same level. If the example above is valid, I need to make
the datatype a property of the type, at the level of the
content model.

That leads to a general problem: Currently there
are three different but overlapping concepts

1) content-model
2) type
3) datatype

I think at least one should/could be removed from the specs.

Best regards

Stefan

Please note: New list subscriptions and unsubscriptions
are  now ***CLOSED*** in preparation for list transfer to OASIS.