PSGML-XML

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Aug 9 16:02:51 BST 1997

A couple of weeks ago, I patched PSGML to add an XML mode that enables
XML-specific delimiters, parsing, and error-reporting (in other words,
it's a real, native XML DTD-driven editor).

(QUERY: IS THIS THE FIRST NATIVE XML EDITOR AVAILABLE?)

I'm waiting to hear back from Lennart Staflin on integrating this into
the main distribution; in the mean time, I'm looking for some alpha
testers who meet the following criteria:

1) You are familiar with both SGML and XML.
2) You are an intermediate to advanced Emacs user (as a minimum, you
   should know how to byte-compile modules, modify the load path, and
   set start-up variables).
3) You are currently using PSGML 1.0.1 and are familiar with its
   commands.

If you're interested, please send me a message, and I'll send you the
patches against PSGML 1.0.1 next week.

*** I am _not_ prepared to provide help on Emacs configuration (etc.)
    at the alpha stage, so please don't reply unless you are either an
    experienced Emacs user or you have easy access to one.

For your information, here are the current features:

XML FEATURES CURRENTLY SUPPORTED

- understands "/>" TAGC for empty elements, and inserts it by default
- requires "?>" PIC for processing instructions
- always quotes attribute value literals
- Reports the following DTD errors:
   * use of AND-connector in content model in element declaration
   * use of name group for element type in element declaration
   * use of omitted tag minimization in element declaration
   * use of CDATA or RCDATA declared content
   * use of inclusion or exclusion exceptions
   * declaration of external CDATA, SDATA, or SUBDOC entities
   * declaration of internal CDATA, SDATA, PI, STARTTAG, ENDTAG, MS,
     or MD entities
   * declaration of data attributes
   * use of name group for associated element type in ATTLIST
   * declaration of NAME, NAMES, NUMBER, NUMBERS, NUTOKEN, or NUTOKENS
     attributes
   * declaration of #CURRENT or #CONREF attributes
   * a public identifier that is not accompanied by a system identifier
- Reports the following general errors:
   * data entity references in data
   * nested comments (enforces XML-style comments)
   * use of tag minimization

XML FEATURES NOT YET SUPPORTED

- allow SYSIDs to be URLs
- validate that mixed content follows XML restrictions
- validate that marked sections in DTD are either INCLUDE or IGNORE
- validate that marked sections in content are CDATA (no parameter entities)
- validate that XML declaration is present
- probably many others that I've missed

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca