Data warehousing and XML

Sean Mc Grath digitome at iol.ie
Mon Dec 1 11:15:20 GMT 1997

I have read a number of articles about Data Warehousing and I *think* I know
what it is but
I have yet to come accross any technical info about how to implement in. On
the face of it though,
it looks like an interesting potential app. for XML.

As I (mis)understand it, you shovel all your corporate data from a variety
of sources (sales, purchasing,
production, memos, R&D etc.) into one humongous repository of data with a
view to asking the seething
mass of data questions that benefit from the totality of information in the
repository. Prior to
putting the stuff there it is "cleaned up". Presumably harmonised into a
homogenous format of some
format. Sure sounds like XML + related standards (specifically SDQL) to me.

Sean Mc Grath
sean at digitome dot com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)